The Gypsy

Locations to play. Make notes on the current status and quality of machines throughout town.

The Gypsy

Postby Ricochet on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Just put 3 machines into The Gypsy. (The Getaway, No Fear and Bride of Pin*bot) We will be putting a 4th one in very soon.

We were thinking maybe one of these might fit in. What do you guys think?
The Who Tommy
Demolition Man
Twilight Zone
Roadshow
Time Machine
Ricochet

Re: The Gypsy

Postby Opto on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 am

I vote -

1 - Tommy
2 - Time Machine

I'm voting for these simply because I've never played them, and Roadshow and TZ are already in a few other spots. Glad to see the Getaway has already found a home!
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am

Agreed....Where is the Gypsy? That might be where the next Weekly is if that 4th gets in there in time.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:58 am

http://www.gypsyrestaurantandlounge.com/gypsy

NW 21st and Irving

Across the street from Cinema 21.
Opto

Postby HornedGramma on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

A good Tommy machine would be so excellent.
So much for a friendly topic...
HornedGramma

Postby Ricochet on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 pm

We should have Tommy in Monday evening.
Ricochet

Postby bounceback on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:06 pm

god, those are the people responsible for that whole list of restaurants? i hope the pins are near the door so i don't absorb too much of the actual environment.

nonetheless, fantastic to have another 4 pin spot, and it's not far from slabtown. i heard rumors there were going to be pins going in at grand central, any word/connection on that?

i really really don't like the vibe of the places on that list of bars owned by Concept!Entertainment. from their site:

"With their guidance and vision, Concept Entertainment has helped to pioneer the practice of rehabilitating Portland’s historic properties, which has contributed to the restoration of Portland neighborhoods over the past 25 years. Plans are currently in progress for development and expansion of new properties and neighborhoods in the next few years."

rehabilitating is an interesting word for it-- i guess that's one way to describe gutting these interesting historic buildings and filling them up with popped collars, overpriced bad food and drink, lingerie parties, frosted tips, rohypnol, UFC matches, arrogant staff, terrible music, and an anti-liberal attitude combined with the feel and decor of the ft. lauderdale club scene meets beaverton subdivision.

AT LEAST while equally as disgusting as the rest of their projects, thirsty lion televises a lot of soccer. i still can't get over what they did to grand central bowling, or how insulting it is that their "low brow" bowling night for the neanderthals among us charges the "discount" rate of $3 a game, what you pay during prime hours everywhere else in town, and is supposedly their service industry night. never forget, the proles are lowbrow beggars who can barely read...

but i'm an optimistic guy, i'll definitely play some sweet pinball, and maybe the presence of pins will bring a bit of a change of atmosphere to gypsy and hopefully grand central, which is super close to me.
bounceback

Postby bounceback on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:53 pm

aargh! just read on your twitter account that some asshole broke the glass on getaway. that would make me fucking furious. was no one at the bar a witness to it, or responsible for seeing a customer abuse the game like that? that's so fucked up. maybe it was some bizarre, honest accident. but it would really surprise me. i supposed it would be jumping to conclusions to think it was a drunk out of control pearl-dwelling meatneck. but it's hard for my bias not to make me think that.

anyway, very sorry to hear about it. i hope that the bar is working with you to take responsibility for whatever happened.

also, i want to say that you guys are the only reason i have ever actually visited the twitter website. so congratulations.
bounceback

Postby Ricochet on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:45 pm

The bar was nice enough to pay for the glass. We were in there on karaoke night and a bunch of frat boys rolled in and that's the night it got smashed. We were in there during the day yesterday and it didn't seem too bad.

Glad we brought you to the dark side of Twitter. :)

Trish
Ricochet

Postby Kickback on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:26 pm

That's what their crowd pretty much consists of. Every machine that was ever there, got wrecked. I would hate to see the backglasses get smashed too. Not sure about the Gypsy. I don't do blow anymore, i wouldn't fit in.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby Opto on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 am

Sorry to hear about the Getaway glass!!! Keep your chins up and thanks so much again for all the great games you're putting out for us to play.
Opto

Postby Jeri on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

Just wanted to drop a note and let you guys know the Tommy - The Who is now setup in Gypsy. The scores as of last week are pretty low on all the machines, except Getaway that we moved from Slabtown.

The lineup is:
Bride of Pin*bot
The Getaway
No Fear
Tommy - The Who

-Jer
"You call it lowering standards, I call it a learning opportunity"
Jeri

Postby bounceback on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 pm

i've got to hit this place before i leave town. awesome to have a working tommy in town! and i've honestly been wanting to try a couple new strategies on no fear, too. can't wait to check it out.
bounceback

Postby Ricochet on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Fixed Tommy's upper flipper, so it's smoother and adjusted the pop bumpers.

Bride of Pinbot got a ton of new GI bulb's. For some reason they all went out in two weeks.
Ricochet

Postby HornedGramma on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:12 am

I was playing the No Fear at the Gypsy on Saturday night; I had what was a solid #1 score going at around 4bil on my second ball when I had to walk away from the machine to run across the street to pick up tickets at Cinema 21. Go figure that my one great game coincides with the start of the movie.

Anyway, this is a three player game that I started for my wife and our friend - I'm first player, and like I said this is my second ball. I don't have time to finish the game so I'm trying to just quickly launch and kill the game so I can put my initials in. So I launch ball 3 and let it drain, it does, and instead of me having to launch and kill players two and three -- and before I get to plug in my inits -- the machine does this weird re-set, ends all three games and starts a new one player game with the credit from my replay. I was pissed.

That's what I get for playing at the Gyspy, I guess, but the Terry Gilliam movie was playing across the street and I didn't have any other choices. Not that the ass clowns who hang out in that place deserve it, but apparently there is something horribly, infuriatingly wrong with that No Fear machine that should probably get looked at.
So much for a friendly topic...
HornedGramma

Postby Ricochet on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:13 am

Fixed a random hang up on the skill shot kicker switch on Bride of Pin*bot.
Tons of GI lights all decided to go between the last service call. Odd. Put two boxes of bulbs in the machines. They're much brighter now.
Moved a piece of plastic that was causing a ball trap in Tommy.
Ricochet

Postby Mark on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:48 am

I've lived a five minute walk from the Gypsy for two and a half years, and such is the ass-hattery of the crowd that hangs out there that I had NO IDEA Ricochet had games inside.
I'm not the Mark who works at Ground Kontrol. I'm the Mark who used to work at Ground Kontrol.
Mark

Postby KYL on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

I've only been there once and it was completely dead.

However, the big warning sign about this place is that they sell a neon-colored concoction in a fishbowl-sized glass for something like $18. Selling those kind of drinks to the NW 23rd crowd = BAD NEWS.

On the plus side, I like the pinball backglasses on the wall, although when I first looked in I thought they actually had a Torch machine and I got really excited.

Also, you get to play Tommy, which you don't see around often and is quite fun. It's also the only game I know of where there is a mode with the theme of molesting a handicapped child. ("Fiddle About") Perhaps they shouldn't have used every song on the album as a mode.
"Drug users don't get the highest scores." -- Keith McTeeth
KYL

Postby Jeri on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 pm

It always seems quiet before 7pm.

-Jer
"You call it lowering standards, I call it a learning opportunity"
Jeri

Postby combo on Thu May 06, 2010 11:10 pm

I just gained employment Here and will be "Lounge hosting" on fri, sat and than thursday when it picks up again so i hopefully will keep some of the machines under a watchfull eye. I think the place has a decent potential for a weekly considering its space and most people are saying its slow early in the week.

Im excited to have a job again especially one where i wont be needing to pay child care so dont rain on my parade. lol

Combo
combo

Next

Return to The Machines