[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Beating on the machines, why do it?

Beating on the machines, why do it?

Locations to play. Make notes on the current status and quality of machines throughout town.

Beating on the machines, why do it?

Postby inthecan on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 am

Last night I went to GK's FREE PLAY night and had a really great time, the only lame thing I saw go down was some really needless abuse of their White Water table and seeing as it could have been by someone on this board I'd like to put this out there without coming off as a passive aggressive douche and get a convo going about this issue in general. Perhaps "game room ethics 101" has come up on this board before?

Nudging, slapping, a light "sweep the leg Johnny!" and a few other chi like attempts at not draining are a part of the game, granted.

Draining and then doing any of the following is pretty pointless and makes you look like a truly pathetic dipshit: Kicking the coinbox, picking the table up and dropping it down (not counting attempts at dislodging stuck balls) crying, slamming your fists/open palms down upon the top glass loud enough for everyone within earshot at a very busy GK to hear it and wonder "WTF is that person doing to White Water?" luckily I only witnessed the top glass smacking thing last night.

Thoughts? ;)
I know this defies the law of gravity, but I never studied law! - Bugs Bunny
inthecan

Re: Beating on the machines, why do it?

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 am

I have hit coin boxes, kicked legs, picked up and dropped machines (1-2 inches, which is probably the worst to do) etc etc. I've done it all, but don't think it's a good thing to do. During tournaments I do not allow it and will yell at people when I see it. if people continue to do it I have told people I reserve the right to ban you from tourneys for a week or two. It then doesn't happen again.

However, outside of tournaments I let people do what they want, if they are kicking the machine, hey, I've been there. It can get very frustrating and better to hit the machine than go hit someone which I have seen done. For the most part the machines can take it, so let them. Unless I see excessive abuse (kicking coin box, throwing it into walls, really dropping it from up high...) I let it slide. If I see those things I usually tell them to chill the fuck out, which usually the say sorry and stop. Also wearing the colors and saying that especially works.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:08 am

However, If I ever saw someone do this to someone else's home machine in their basement or garage I would take them out back and beat them! That I am not joking about. As I am sure most people would do too.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:23 am

Dented legs (or stripped leg plates) are generally one of the worst things that can happen to a game from people beating it up. Cabinet scrapes etc It sucks . . . but those things are build like brick shit houses . . . they can take a lot of what people dish out - I mean . . . most of them are 20-30 years old! I think it's generally inappropriate . . . but REALLY inappropriate during a tournament.

On the other side . . . I do secretly love it when I'm playing a machine normally and nudging/slapping/popping etc and someone calls me out on it . . . especially in a tournament. At GK round one last year the guy I was playing was like "Um . . . isn't moving the machine considered cheating?" I sorta chuckled (on the inside) and politely told him he could move it as much as he wanted to . . . if and that it'll tilt if either of us takes to to far. He didn't like that answer.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby dylan on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 am

Glad to see someone address this issue, there are some people who are waaay to concerned with their scores, ranking or egos, that they lose all respect for the machines themselves. As an owner operator I have had to bite my tongue several times seeing friends being rough with my games. But the things you mentioned go too far. Personally if I witnessed someone kick the front or pick the whole front up and slam it down, I wouldn't hesitate to bust their face up.
Drunk or not, you gotta respect the machines.
dylan

Postby JeffK on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 am

Haha, GKs free play night is definitely prime time to see heavy machine abuse and other tomfoolery, like people playing four player games by themselves or resting five beers on the machines. Theres on guy at GK who only ever plays WH20 and tends to get pretty colorful when he drains. Maybe you saw him. Likes to hit the glass and call the machine really awkward names like 'dirty little slut''. Ive seen GK staff scold him more than once. Granted I've also seen GK staff kick a coin door and punch their qbert machine.
JeffK

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:06 am

Disable slam tilts. You may think it helps prevent someone from hitting the machine but the only reason I have ever hit the coin door with my palm is to purposely slam tilt the machine. Disabling it won't allow someone to do it and therefore won't hit it. Also, make games tight enough that you cannot deathsave them. Granted they are not allowed during tournaments but if I am just out playing, and I can bangback or deathsave your damn right I will. I like to think I have this down to a pretty good science and I am not even hitting the machine but some people may attempt it and not be so graceful (Fred).

I once saw someone mule kick a coin door before. Horrible thing to do, but I have to admit I laughed my ass off when I saw it.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 pm

I heard a rumor that DannyB started bringing a blow torch, skillsaw and 20 lb sledge with him to sessions. Just in case the machine starts "asking for it".
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby FHF on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:32 pm

ha! I happen to know a place where the machine has been deathsaved through the back wall (literally). You call that graceful?!
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Fuck Putters! That was probably you anyways. Good thing that power strip isn't 3 inches to the left.
Dropshot

Postby revtest on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 pm

I'll slap the shit out of a game! I like "dirty little slut" but I usually go with "Fucking whore" myself! I own games I know what they can take and what is "Going to far" but My anger and hatred get the best of me sometimes :twisted: If your gonna put games out that initiate a physical reaction then its gonna take some abuse that's the nature of the beast but if someone is be malicious or actually breaking shit then its time to regulate. I like the old "Don't beat up the game cause you suck at pinball.... play better"
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby PatC on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Sometimes when no one's home, I'll beat it.

Oh wait, are we talking about pinball? Yeah, then that too.

I think the exciting thing about glass-slapping is realizing how tough glass is. Like I think it is fragile as shit, but frankly, after seeing Steve and Danny B's relationship to it -- and you too, Mindy -- I think that glass is the toughest shit on earth.
PatC

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 pm

I like to go with fucking whore's when no one is home too!

Rom, maybe we should put an age limit for our board?
Dropshot

Postby Soundcard on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 am

whore's as a motherfucker,
I'm just rehabing my shoulder... and trying to get my fuck on.
Soundcard

Postby ROM on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 am

Vibe Police
ROM

Postby inthecan on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:39 am

At the end of the day it seems far more effective to me to not slap, slam, kick or yell at the machine but to instead slap and yell at ones self; after all a drain is in fact (9 times out of 10) ultimately related to the player's error and not the table. Ever seen a professional pool player kick a table or tear the felt up on a scratch? It brings to mind watching fellow skateboarders cry, scream and throw their decks, sometimes beating them to shit or focusing them because they slammed or couldn't pull off a trick. Funny thing is most of those dudes that tend to do that kind of shit are actually really, really good. Just an observation.

"Negligence is an extreme thing. The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim." - The Way of the Samurai
inthecan

Postby Dropshot on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 am

Dropshot

Postby inthecan on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am

Are you kidding me man? http://blackwidowbilliards.com/ :twisted:

I've also never seen a pro pool player I'd want to hang out with.[/quote]
inthecan

Postby Dropshot on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 am

That's like saying Danica Patrick is hot. Just because a girl is doing something better than the boys does not make them good looking. Still stand by my point. Besides, she looks like an uptight bitch!
Dropshot

Postby Qdub on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 am

I've seen alot of abuse to Machines over the years, and granted I'm guilty of shovin', slappin', and wackin' my fair share of pins. Hey rubbin' racing. Its part of the game. There is however skill set on this that I feel is lost on alot of people. Some dude will see someone who knows what they're doing and say to themselves "He hit it, I should hit it too." and he does, only much harder and without any clue as to why they're beating on the machine. Yeah pins are tough, but if you beat on anything long enough its gonna break. Really the only real thing that will get me to put my drink down, walk across the bar, and drag someone into an alleyway is when I see someone kicking the pins. I have replaced more legs and coin doors then I care to. Remember, don't beat the pins out of anger, beat them outta love.
Qdub

Next

Return to The Machines