[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Repairing EMs

Repairing EMs

Your machine is ugly because you took bad care of it. Now what?

Repairing EMs

Postby Rob on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

So I gave myself a late birthday / early xmas present & bought a junk EM to learn how to get this shit back in working order. It seems that the Portland crews rolls deep in SS machines, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there with experience in loving the older ladies. The Pin Repair EM Guide is extremely thorough, if not daunting, and I would love to talk to someone who has hands-on experience with these beasts (for those interested, http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm).

More specifically, does anyone know where to get point files / flex stones / contact adjusters / socket cleaning sticks / lube in this town?
Rob

Re: Repairing EMs

Postby videomode on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Jake and Eric just got his EM going so they would be the ones to ask. Eric's got the skills
dennis
videomode

Postby eric on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Steve Young's is a great spot for EM specific parts. His ordering system is kind of archaic (telephone orders only, no credit cards), but his inventory is vast and their prices are really good. Doesn't hurt that he usually ships same day too.

is also a great place to order from. They have the best prices I'm aware of on bulbs, rubber, and pinballs. Fast shipping and terrific service too.

For lube, if you're talking about the teflon Super Lube Clay mentions you can buy that at Wink's on SE Stark. Besides a little of this stuff on the arms of stepper units you shouldn't really be putting any lubricant in your pinball.

Good luck! Feel free to post any questions you have to this thread and we'll do our best to help.
eric

Postby eric on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Also, what'd you get?
eric

Postby Rob on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Dude, thanks a ton... too bad I forgot to post this before eating dinner:

I got the Zip-A-Doo (http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2840) that was posted on CL last week. The woman said that it was in working order, but the machine didn't do shit when I came over to look at it. After some unnamed "collector" rejected the machine, I was able to get a good price. It definitely needs some TLC, but it seems like a not-quite-entirely-fucked machine. I'm excited about getting it up & running, but am ready to devote some serious time to learning how to do things properly.
Rob

Postby Dropshot on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 am

may be the best pic ever
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:47 am

Congrats on your first pin Rob! Your 2nd one is just around the corner. Don't believe me? ? ? We'll talk in 6 months.

I've found ordering from Pinball Life much easier, as their website is really easy to search. The only bummer is that you can't order a rubber kit from them, you have to figure out which rubbers your game requires and add them to your cart one at a time.

Pinball resource is great and has super low prices (+ you can just ask for the zip-a-do kit and they'll put it together).

Once you get it up and running I'd recommend buying a flipper rebuild kit. It's a fairly simple thing you can do for your machine and makes a huge difference - very satisfying.

I'm in line to borrow Eric's "This Old Pinball" EM repair DVD - sounds like there's a lot of handy stuff in it, and you get to WATCH people fix things instead of reading about it.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby emma on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 am

Cool game Rob - that is a crazy looking game! It looks like it's "house-wife" themed. Post pics of your game when you have a chance.
emma

Postby eric on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Ha! Truth be told, Carly makes me wear a cape.

That machine is mind boggling. It's like his wife is going after his mistress with a frying pan and a percussion mallet and he's like, "Whoops, Zip-a-doo!".
eric

Postby Legs on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 pm

"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Return to Repair and Restoration